This weekend I saw a mail truck being towed and got way too excited. Sammy wasn't even in the car, and still I said "Ohhhh, look! Two trucks! One is carrying the other!" This is my life. Other things I now get excited about: helicopters, the idea of a house made out of candy, snails, dancing skeletons, cars with eyes, puppies, chrome rims, parks, and pictures of unicycles. Having a kid opens up a whole new level of everyday excitement. And that's a good thing, I think.
We've been keeping busy with family visits, our garden (Will), and baking (Heidi). Lots and lots of baking. I made chocolate zucchini bread which was delicious. (The recipe calls for orange zest, which I think is mostly what makes it taste so good.) I made no-rise orange rolls which were tasty. I made my all-time favorite baking recipe, cranberry orange scones, which were wonderfulwonderfulwonderful. And then I made apple cider doughnuts, which required way too much work and tasted just ok. Oh well. Lessons learned: All recipes with orange zest will succeed. All recipes without orange zest will fail.
I've also made other things, things a little less "I want diabetes" and a little more "I love food but still care about my *ahem* girlish figure." Like, for instance, rosemary focaccia bread (thanks, Elizabeth!), this Croatian dish with egg noodles and caramelized onions and cabbage (thanks, Mama!), and Leek, Bacon, and Pea Risotto (thanks, Malia!). Man, without those ladies we probably wouldn't have eaten. I love when friends give me recipes! I also really want to make this chicken posole recipe from Real Simple but spruce it up with a chipotle pepper or two, 6 oz. of beer, and some black beans. I'll bake some beer bread to go with it, and, really, can you think of anything better? No, no you can't.
Here's last week in photos:
Sammy took a shower for the first time:
We've been keeping busy with family visits, our garden (Will), and baking (Heidi). Lots and lots of baking. I made chocolate zucchini bread which was delicious. (The recipe calls for orange zest, which I think is mostly what makes it taste so good.) I made no-rise orange rolls which were tasty. I made my all-time favorite baking recipe, cranberry orange scones, which were wonderfulwonderfulwonderful. And then I made apple cider doughnuts, which required way too much work and tasted just ok. Oh well. Lessons learned: All recipes with orange zest will succeed. All recipes without orange zest will fail.
I've also made other things, things a little less "I want diabetes" and a little more "I love food but still care about my *ahem* girlish figure." Like, for instance, rosemary focaccia bread (thanks, Elizabeth!), this Croatian dish with egg noodles and caramelized onions and cabbage (thanks, Mama!), and Leek, Bacon, and Pea Risotto (thanks, Malia!). Man, without those ladies we probably wouldn't have eaten. I love when friends give me recipes! I also really want to make this chicken posole recipe from Real Simple but spruce it up with a chipotle pepper or two, 6 oz. of beer, and some black beans. I'll bake some beer bread to go with it, and, really, can you think of anything better? No, no you can't.
Here's last week in photos:
Sammy took a shower for the first time:
Oh no! I can't find Samuel!
"Mama, outside looks like more fun than hiding under a tablecloth."
Sammy and his prayer mat. Kidding! He's just tired and wiping his sleepy face on our mat.
I'm tired, too. There's just far too much excitement around here. Either that or I stayed up too late wasting time on the world wide internets, oohing and ahhing over a new food blog I found. Yay food!

2 comments:
Hahaha! Lovely & tasty. :) I miss yall bunches...
Man, we miss you, too. Come to Austin, and I'll bake you something tasty!
Post a Comment