IT'S RECIPE TIME.
Lemon Poppy Seed Buttermilk Pancakes (GF)
Seriously the best pancakes I've ever eaten. Also, gluten free! The recipe comes from this lovely cookbook, though I've adapted it ever so slightly, mostly because I'm lazy and refuse to dirty three bowls when one will suffice. So, ingredients:
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup quinoa flour
1/3 cup quinoa flakes
2 T blond cane sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
2 pinches of sea salt
2 T poppy seeds
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 T olive oil
Whisk together in a large bowl and fry on butter/oil in your favorite skillet/crepe pan. Easy! Delicious! (Makes 6-8 pancakes)
Chocolate Crepes (GF)
Gluten free crepes that don't taste like a straw hat? YES, PLEASE. This recipe comes from the same fancy French cookbook (check out her blog, too) with one change: I used quinoa flour instead of millet flour. So! Good!
3/4 cup quinoa flour
4 T cornstarch
2 1/2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
2 T blond cane sugar
pinch of sea salt
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 t vanilla extract
1 T unsalted butter, melted
unsalted butter for the pan
Pulse ingredients together in your food processor and then fry in your prettiest crepe pan. We ate these with nutella and hazelnut meal (Will) and walnuts drizzled with honey (Heidi).
(Makes 10-12 crepes)
Related anecdote: When I gave up gluten five months ago, I stupidly thought my life was over. ("Well, I guess I'll never enjoy food again. WHAT IS LIFE WITHOUT CROISSANTS?") Sure, I could still eat raspberries and butter and cheese and bacon, but no French bread? No donuts? NO CREPES? Somehow, I survived. And then I discovered these crepes. Happiness and rainbows again!
Semi-related anecdote: When I gave up gluten, I started running, introduced myself to kale, and stopped eating ice cream every time the clock read 8:00 pm. And you know what? I lost weight! THIRTY-SEVEN POUNDS, PEOPLE.
Unrelated anecdote: Today, Will and Sammy took tiny cars and made a Sammy-sized Citroen 2CV out of them. It was kind of amazing. Then Milka tried to mess everything up and we all yelled at her. Kidding!
The week in photos:
Happy Saturday, folks!
1 comments:
I have now had the pleasure of having Heidi make me the lemon poppy seed pancakes and the chocolate crepes. Swoon, people. Swoon.
Post a Comment