CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Toyk-boyz"

Yesterday Sammy correctly pronounced the word turquoise. I almost cried. It was the end of something small and wonderful, a reminder that he's growing up. And while I hadn't hoped he'd always say toyk-boyz, I wasn't prepared for turquoise. It was like that time I told him he couldn't play outside because "outside died, sweetheart," and he looked at me and said, "No, Mama. Outside: there. Sammy see it." It was like that, but sadder. And I don't know why.

So, here's to tiny suckers and tiny faces and mothers who only sometimes realize how very quickly childhood goes by.


Also, this New Yorker article about sex-ed books for children is great. And frightening. The best lines come from Peter Mayle's book Where Did I Come From?: "If you put your mother and your father in a bathtub, you'd notice that they're different. You've probably noticed that already, but you notice it much more when you put them in the bath together."
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Rachel M. said...

This makes me sad, and he's not even my kid. I remember when he was just a tiny ball at Empire Cafe. :(