My grandmother, my Baka Pavica in Croatia, passed away Wednesday morning. This is one of the last pictures I have of us together:
My baka was selfless and loving and kind. She would give you her scarf, if you so much as suggested it was pretty or looked nice with her shoes. (She'd also try to give you her shoes.) She loved gnocchi. She loved soap operas. She loved the Adriatic Sea.
When I think of my baka, I think of her at the seaside, making dinner or serving dessert in her bathing suit. I have beautiful memories of her there. Beautiful memories of her sunbathing. Beautiful memories of her sewing, of her talking, of her laughing.
But my favorite memory is more recent. I remember when she saw my Samuel for the first time. I remember how sweetly she smiled. And I remember how Samuel still kisses her picture and asks about his Nona:

4 comments:
That is the sweetest tribute Heidi! I am crying tears of joy and sadness for you guys That you have these fond memories of your grandma is a blessing. Msy the Lord bring these to your heart and mind when you think of her. I love you and am praying for you.
Leslie took my words! This is a very nice tribute to your grandmother. I'm a little teary too. So glad that Sammy got to meet her.
She sounds like she was such a sweet woman. I love that Sammy knows her... I was showing Lorelai family pics yesterday and taught her "Grandma Buna"... so important that they know their family. Love yall. (P.S. this blog also made me very hungry. No lie: I went out and bought Nutella today and learned how to make crepes. And yes, you do want to explode after 5...)
This was beautiful. I love you and your family and we are praying continuously for healing and comfort. The most important thing is to keep doing what you are doing so well already and that is remembering her in all her beauty and the beauty she gave to your entire family. I love you all very much and know that God is with you in these bitter sweet time. God has one more beautiful lady to keep him company.
Post a Comment