CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cookies, Muffins, and Red Chile Enchilada Sauce: New Meurer Favorites!

Calling all recipe lovers! We've been doing a little baking and cooking lately, and I thought I'd share a few of our favorite recipes. But first, Sammy:




Go-to Muffins
These tasty muffins are healthy and delicious. I call them my go-to muffins because I fill them with just about anything: grated zucchini, shredded apples, chocolate chips, blueberries, etc. This recipe comes from my mom, and boy is it a crowd pleaser!

Mix the following together:
2 C whole wheat flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 t sea salt
1 t cinnamon
handful of flax seeds

Then add the following:
3/4 C milk
1 egg
1/4 C olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 C honey

Fold in:
1 1/2 C blueberries or
1 C grated zucchini
1 C shredded or chopped apples
1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips/carob chips

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. SO GOOD. Sammy loves them, and they have absolutely no refined sugar or white flour! Bonus.


Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
This recipe comes from a great book I read this summer: Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. All the recipes from the book are online, including this one. Click here. I love these cookies! They're made with a combination of white and whole wheat flour and sweetened with honey and sugar. Oh, and I also add a handful of flax seeds to the batter. Tastes great and is good for you, too!


Red Chile Sauce
This recipe is from my new cookbook (a Christmas present from my wonderful husband!): Cooking with Cafe Pasqual's. The cookbook is from one of our favorite restaurants in Santa Fe, NM (my culinary home away from home), and the gorgeous photographs and recipes would, I think, inspire anyone to buy some red chiles and head to the kitchen! I made this sauce a few nights ago and poured it over veggie enchiladas: HEAVEN! Note: It does make quite a spicy sauce, so it's probably not for those who don't like hot dishes.

(Makes 4 cups)

1 quart water
16 guajillo chiles, stemmed and seeded
8 ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
4 chiles de arbol, stemmed
2 cloves garlic
1 T red wine vinegar
1 t dried oregano
1/2 white onion, coarsely chopped
1 T kosher salt


In a saucepan large enough to hold all the ingredients, bring the water to a boil. Add all the ingredients, return to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes, covered, over high heat. Remove from the heat and let cool completely before blending. Place the mixture into a blender and whirl until smooth. Strain through a large wire-mesh strainer and discard the seeds. (I did not have a large enough strainer and skipped this part. My sauce was then a little thicker, so I added a bit more water to the blender. Turned out fine.) Adjust the salt and refrigerate, covered, until ready to use. May be held in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 2 months. Enjoy!


Hungry, now?

Posted by Picasa

0 comments: