So, Samuel is 11 months old, and I'm pretty sure that is the age where a baby becomes a little toddler. Sammy is toddling everywhere. He can almost reach everything. Here he is going for the elusive green candle:
Cutie-pants little toot:

Ok, so here's the recipe for Saag Paneer. You will need:
1 large onion
6 cloves of garlic
1 oz fresh ginger
1 lb. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup plain yogurt (full fat; don't attempt with non-fat yogurt...bleh)
4 oz buttermilk
2 teaspoons red chili powder
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 cup half n half
6 oz. paneer (make your own if you have lots of free time and like to make cheese, or buy it)
Salt to taste
In a blender or food processor, grind the onion, garlic, and ginger into a fine paste.
In a large saucepan, combine the paste, spinach, yogurt, buttermilk, chili powder, and garam masala. Simmer at medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes. Mash the ingredients with a potatoe masher. Add the half n half. Simmer until creamy (10 to 15 minutes).
Fry paneer in a little canola oil, butter, or clarified butter (ghee). Add cheese to creamy mixture and simmer 5 more minutes. Season with salt.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Note: The last time I made this, I forgot to thaw and drain the spinach, and it was ridiculously watery. I had to boil off the water for what seemed like 5 hours (but in actuality was more like an additional 30 minutes). Enjoy!
1 large onion
6 cloves of garlic
1 oz fresh ginger
1 lb. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup plain yogurt (full fat; don't attempt with non-fat yogurt...bleh)
4 oz buttermilk
2 teaspoons red chili powder
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 cup half n half
6 oz. paneer (make your own if you have lots of free time and like to make cheese, or buy it)
Salt to taste
In a blender or food processor, grind the onion, garlic, and ginger into a fine paste.
In a large saucepan, combine the paste, spinach, yogurt, buttermilk, chili powder, and garam masala. Simmer at medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes. Mash the ingredients with a potatoe masher. Add the half n half. Simmer until creamy (10 to 15 minutes).
Fry paneer in a little canola oil, butter, or clarified butter (ghee). Add cheese to creamy mixture and simmer 5 more minutes. Season with salt.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Note: The last time I made this, I forgot to thaw and drain the spinach, and it was ridiculously watery. I had to boil off the water for what seemed like 5 hours (but in actuality was more like an additional 30 minutes). Enjoy!


5 comments:
amen for no non-fat yogurt!
To see the pictures of my babies, my GRANDbaby & my Grandmother's towel (roughly 100 years old & embroidered by her maiden hands) VIA a blog in 2008 on my Grandfather's would be 120's birthday - is just TOO MUCH for me!
Sentimental Duda
My Dear Heidi, I cannot find garm marsala at HEB or Krogers. I have not seen paneer. Where can i find these 2 items. I do love indian fod and i am glad that you are so enthusiastic a cook. It all sounds great. Love ami
Ami, I bought garam masala at Central Market--in their bulk section. We found the paneer at an Indian grocery store here in Austin, but I'm sure that Central Market or Whole Foods would also carry it. I can also bring some when we come down again. Let me know!
Oh my, we need to have a saag paneer date soooon.
Post a Comment