CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Oh, Steering Wheel! Oh, Spinning Top!

My child is a fan of steering wheels. If you say the words "steering wheel," he smiles and starts hyperventilating/panting. Sometimes he even does a little dance. Mostly, he runs to the window and points and grunts at our car. He will do this until you either (a) take him to the car, (b) pull down the blinds and tell him "Sorry, Sammy, the steering wheel died. Yeah, it went bye-bye," or (c) give him a spinning top. Yep. He's added spinning tops to his to-do list. From what I gather, his list looks a lot like this:

1. Ceiling fan (goal: own a ceiling fan shop in the near future)
2.Steering wheel (goal: somehow convince Mama to let me drive to the grocery store)
3. Spinning top (goal: learn how to make it spin forever)
4. Ceiling fan (goal: find ladder, climb to fan, and touch it)
5. Tent (goal: move entire contents of home into tent so that everything happens in the tent)
6. Tent (goal: convince Papa to bring computer wires/cables into the tent)
7. Wheel (goal: find used tire/wheel and hide it in tent for future wheel fun)
8. Computer mouse (goal: get it)
9. Balloon (goal: have at least one balloon near me at all times)
10. Steering wheel (goal: disconnect from car, bring into tent)

Last week, Samuel and Will had a little time with the steering wheel. And by little I mean at least thirty minutes of Samuel pushing buttons and "driving" our stationary vehicle. He was so engrossed, he wouldn't even look up for a picture. And I tried. I even made my trademark "lee-lee-lee-lee-lee-lee" shrill that's never worked but somehow I come back to every time I need Samuel's attention:

Later, the boys played with Samuel's spinning top from Croatia. There were fun times:

And serious times:

And times where Samuel laughed so hard I thought he would collapse:


So, if you're wondering what to get that special little boy in your life, you might want to reconsider your previously rejected ideas of "Thirty Minutes with a Car Steering Wheel" or "A Croatian Spinning Top." They're Sammy-approved!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ZVRK = spinning top in Croatian

love,baka

Anonymous said...

I love how you tell him that everything dies and goes bye-bye. I'm still trying to figure out how the door at Dolce Vita died. :)

Heidi Meurer said...

He's going to have a very strange understanding of death, that's for sure :)