Friday evening Baka, Dida, and Ujo came into town for an impromptu Austin visit! We had a great time celebrating (belatedly) Ujo Kaleb's birthday and enjoying the cool (and then warm) weather. Thanks, guys, for the lovely surprise; we loved our weekend with you all.
Also of interest: Sammy is finally done with his chicken pox! Hoorah!
Saturday morning I worked a little with the folks at Micah 6, and I would love it if you would check out their website and see the good work they are doing for Austin's homeless. Their focus: do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God. It is encouraging to see justice in action and to know that there are tangible ways of showing Jesus to those in need. Saturday afternoon we headed to Curra's for some delicious Mexican food. Their FAMOUS mole enchiladas are amazing, though I think I was the only one in our family who thought so. When pressed to try the delicious enchiladas, the family made faces and said things like, "Ewww" or "Why is it sweet?" or "I don't like that." We stopped for coffee at Austin Java and took a few (hundred) pictures. I'll spare you the massive amounts of barely-distinguishable-from-the-next photos and share my two favorites:
Also of interest: Sammy is finally done with his chicken pox! Hoorah!
Saturday morning I worked a little with the folks at Micah 6, and I would love it if you would check out their website and see the good work they are doing for Austin's homeless. Their focus: do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God. It is encouraging to see justice in action and to know that there are tangible ways of showing Jesus to those in need. Saturday afternoon we headed to Curra's for some delicious Mexican food. Their FAMOUS mole enchiladas are amazing, though I think I was the only one in our family who thought so. When pressed to try the delicious enchiladas, the family made faces and said things like, "Ewww" or "Why is it sweet?" or "I don't like that." We stopped for coffee at Austin Java and took a few (hundred) pictures. I'll spare you the massive amounts of barely-distinguishable-from-the-next photos and share my two favorites:
Ujo Kaleb, being anti-social (trying to do homework):
After coffee we stopped by Central Market to get a few spices for the Indian lunch we had planned for Sunday. We also managed to get a balloon for Sammy (they give them away to cute little boys), which--by the way--is the adult equivalent of giving someone first-class tickets to Paris. Samuel was in raptures over this balloon. The best part? He wanted to hold the string attached to the balloon at the very end: he would work his way down the string until he found the last possible point of contact. Babies are weird. Here he is with Dida and the good-as-gold balloon:
Saturday evening we went to Salt Lick for the most famous, BEST barbecue in Texas! Seriously. I dare you to think of a better place. People wear cowboy hats here, and they slather the sauce on the meat WITH A MOP. Sadly, no pictures of the tastiness. Or the mop.
Sunday afternoon we made Curry Chicken, Saag Paneer, and Chickpea Salad. I LOVE INDIAN FOOD. And it only took Mama and I two hours to make! Ugh. Thanks to Dida and Will for help with all the onion and garlic chopping. Before eating, we went to Whole Foods where Baka took this picture of the Meurers three:

3 comments:
I used to volunteer at Micah 6, can you believe it? It was great!
I'm sorry that I couldn't see you three when I was in Austin back in August, but then I noticed that you were busy with visitors about every weekend as you wrote. Everything does happen for a reason, so it was for the best. Next time I visit, though, I have to see cute little Sammy. He looks just absolutely adorable.
I was just trying to get some work done. Thank you for this weekend. I had a blast!
Derek, what a strange coincidence! And, yes, next time you're in town, please do let us know...we'll make some time in our very busy, very popular schedule :)
Kaleb, whatever. Anti-social brotha from the same motha!
Post a Comment